1/2 Photos of Creole Jambalaya
Karen From Colorado's Note:
I found a version of this in reader's digest many years ago. I have since revised it to my own tastes so many times that I no longer even remember what the original recipe was anymore. I love it very spicy so I use extra hot sauce at the table. Tabasco is my preferred brand but Frank's isn't too bad. Just not as spicy but with very good flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced (with tops)
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings or 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1/2 lb ham, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or other hot bottled sauce)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 lb smoked beef sausage
- 1Cook onions, garlic, green pepper and celery in the bacon drippings or cooking oil until onion is browned.
- 2Add parsley, ham, thyme, and bay leaves; cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 3Add salt, hot sauce, tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, and 2 cups of water; simmer 5 minutes.
- 4Add rice; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- 5Add shrimp and smoked sausage; cover and simmer 10 or 15 minutes longer or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 6Season to taste with salt and more hot sauce.
- 7-------Chicken Jambalaya--------.
- 8Add chicken and polish sausage.
- 9When the onion-celery mix is done, finish as directed, omitting ham and shrimp.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1093.3
- Calories from Fat 517
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 367.7 mg
- Sodium 2621.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 77.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked beef sausage