1 hr 15 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
This recipe comes from a Texas cookbook called "Texas Blossoms". I did make a few changes. I don't have 3-8" round pans so I baked mine in 2-9" round pans for 40 minutes. Also, I have an aversion to eating raw egg yolks so I substituted 3 Tbsp Heavy Cream in the icing. I used a 2 pound bag of powdered sugar - it's just a little over 6 cups so you don't have to bother with measuring it out. If the icing seems a little too thick simply add another egg yolk or a tablespoon of milk or heavy cream to thin. The icing makes a very generous amount so if you are only using 2 - 9" layers you have enough for a nice thick layer of icing between the cake layers. This is a very tender cake with a wonderful mocha flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- cocoa, for dusting pans
Coffee Buttercream Icing
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Pour water into double boiler and add coffee granules stirring to dissolve.
- 4Add brown sugar and chocolate and heat over simmering water stirring until well blended.
- 5Set aside to cool.
- 6In large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- 7Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 8Mix until light and fluffy.
- 9Add chocolate mixture to butter mixture, mixing well.
- 10Sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 11Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture alternately with the milk.
- 12Divide batter among 3 (8 inch) well greased round pans that have been dusted with cocoa.
- 13Stagger pans in preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 14Cool for 2 minutes and turn onto cooling racks.
- 15Frost between layers, on top and sides with Coffee Buttercream Icing.
- 16Sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- 17Coffee Buttercream Icing:.
- 18Dissolve coffe in hot water.
- 19Once dissolved set aside to cool.
- 20Blend butter and egg yolks on medium speed with electric mixer.
- 21Add coffe mixture and mix thoroughly.
- 22Add powdered sugar to coffee mixture and blend until smooth.
Browse Our Top Creole Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Fudge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 764.4
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 148.2 mg
- Sodium 364.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 93.3 g
- Protein 6.6 g