Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from a Texas cookbook called "Texas Blossoms". I did make a few changes. I don't have 3-8" round pans so I baked mine in 2-9" round pans for 40 minutes. Also, I have an aversion to eating raw egg yolks so I substituted 3 Tbsp Heavy Cream in the icing. I used a 2 pound bag of powdered sugar - it's just a little over 6 cups so you don't have to bother with measuring it out. If the icing seems a little too thick simply add another egg yolk or a tablespoon of milk or heavy cream to thin. The icing makes a very generous amount so if you are only using 2 - 9" layers you have enough for a nice thick layer of icing between the cake layers. This is a very tender cake with a wonderful mocha flavor.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- cocoa, for dusting pans
Coffee Buttercream Icing
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour water into double boiler and add coffee granules stirring to dissolve.
- Add brown sugar and chocolate and heat over simmering water stirring until well blended.
- Set aside to cool.
- In large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add chocolate mixture to butter mixture, mixing well.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture alternately with the milk.
- Divide batter among 3 (8 inch) well greased round pans that have been dusted with cocoa.
- Stagger pans in preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool for 2 minutes and turn onto cooling racks.
- Frost between layers, on top and sides with Coffee Buttercream Icing.
- Sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- Coffee Buttercream Icing:.
- Dissolve coffe in hot water.
- Once dissolved set aside to cool.
- Blend butter and egg yolks on medium speed with electric mixer.
- Add coffe mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add powdered sugar to coffee mixture and blend until smooth.