Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
Cold rice works best in this recipe. If possible, make the rice a day ahead, and store it in the fridge. If you're in a hurry, follow Step 1 to cool it on a baking sheet.
- 236.59 ml uncooked long-grain rice
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 7.39 ml creole seasoning, divided
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 226.79 g andouille sausages or 226.79 g smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 236.59 ml frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced (green part only)
- Cook rice according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for water. Spread cooked rice in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- Cut chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces, and toss with 1 teaspoons Creole seasoning.
- Cook chicken in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 3 minutes; add sausage, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in okra and remaining 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning. Increase heat to high; add rice, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in tomatoes. Sprinkle with sliced green onions, and serve immediately.
This came together easily and both looks and tastes fabulous! We used Creole Seasoning for the Creole Seasoning called for in the recipe. We kept it fairly mild, but depending on the cayenne in the seasoning mix, this could also be pretty spicy; the Andouille sausage has a nice heat to it anyway. Enjoyed making it and the family enjoyed eating it. Made for World Tour 9.