Cold rice works best in this recipe. If possible, make the rice a day ahead, and store it in the fridge. If you're in a hurry, follow Step 1 to cool it on a baking sheet.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons creole seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausages or 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced (green part only)
- Cook rice according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for water. Spread cooked rice in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- Cut chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces, and toss with 1 teaspoons Creole seasoning.
- Cook chicken in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 3 minutes; add sausage, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in okra and remaining 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning. Increase heat to high; add rice, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in tomatoes. Sprinkle with sliced green onions, and serve immediately.