A nice hearty hot soup, great for lunch on a chilly day. Unlike a lot of fish chowder recipes, it contains no potatoes, so it's a good choice if you're trying to go light on starchy carbohydrates. Use more chili powder if you like. May be served with crackers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen fish fillets (cod, sole, haddock, or whiting)
- snipped parsley (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion, celery and chili powder, and sauté lightly about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes through worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil and add the frozen fish.
- Let the soup simmer--separating the fish as it thaws--for about 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Sprinkle with parsley.