Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar and once I give it a try, I'll make changes if needed.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, Minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, Minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup eggs or 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large eggplant, peeled & diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh corn, soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup white cheese, Grated (firmly packed grated mild white cheese of your choice)
- 3 eggs, separated, room temp
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- In a large skillet, heat butter till it foams.
- Add the onion, celery, and garlic and saute over low heat until the onion is translucent.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring until well blended.
- Add the herbs and saute, stirring until the mixture just begins to brown.
- Add the milk and the diced eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs).
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is quite tender.
- Add a bit of water from time to time if necessary, just enough to keep the bottom of the skillet moist.
- Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add the bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper to taste, cayenne, and 3 egg yolks.
- In another bowl, beat the 3 egg whites until they form stiff peaks, then fold them gently into the eggplant mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a well-oiled 1 1/2 qt baking casserole or souffle pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Let the souffle sit for 5 minutes, then serve at once.