Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A New Orleans classic. From Southern Living.
- 1 (16 ounce) container chicken livers, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) containerfresh oysters, undrained
- 8 ounces loaf day-old French bread, crumbled (half of a 1 lb. loaf)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork, cooked and drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- Chop chicken livers and cook in boiling water until tender; drain and set aside.
- Drain the oysters and reserve the liquid; chop oysters coarsely.
- Pour oyster liquid over bread; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat; add in green onions and the next 4 ingredients; cook and stir constantly until vegetables are tender.
- Add in chopped chicken livers, oysters, bread mixture, beef, and the remaining ingredients; lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.