Recipe by Nolita_Food
From the NY Times. I tried it tonight, wonderful stuff! The herbs can be tied in a cheese cloth, making it easier to remove them later.
- 2 large lemons
- 1 medium onion, peeled,chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups canned peeled Italian tomatoes, seeded and chopped,with juice
- 4 cups fish stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 sprig marjoram
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint, more if you like
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the zest from 1 lemon in one long strip, if possible, with a vegetable peeler; set aside.
- Juice the peeled lemon.
- Thinly slice the remaining lemon into 4 to 6 pieces; set aside for garnish.
- Melt the butter in a deep, large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the stock and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- When the mixture boils, turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Add the bay leaf and the rest of the herbs, the lemon zest strip and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the lemon juice.
- Simmer, partly covered, for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add the crab meat and simmer gently until the soup is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, cayenne and more lemon juice, if needed.
- Discard the bay leaf and parsley and marjoram sprigs.
- Add another tablespoon of fresh mint at the last minute.
- After you spoon the soup into bowls, top each serving with a lemon slice.