Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Heart-warming and rich, this soup comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, chopped (canned is fine)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 4 lbs fish, cut into pieces (redfish is called for, but your choice of fish is fine)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Brown flour in oil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching, until golden; add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and garlic; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add a little water and simmer 15 more minutes or until thickened.
- Add remaining water, fish, salt, parsley, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.