1/1 Photo of Creole Corn Chowder
8 hrs 10 mins
7 hrs 30 mins
Candy C's Note:
Spicy and sweet - a delicious twist on traditional corn chowder. From Joe Simmer's Creole Slow Cookin' cookbook with a few changes for our tastes. I often dice the vegetables (except carrots and potatoes which I chop while the bacon is cooking) the day before cooking to save time. It's a lot of chopping but sooooo worth it! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 lb tasso, chopped (or smoked sausage or ham if you can't get tasso)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1/2 lb red potatoes, chopped
- 1 lb corn kernel, frozen, thawed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp and set aside.
- 2Saute the onion, bell peppers, and celery in 2 tablespoons bacon drippings 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add the minced garlic, black and cayenne pepper, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and tasso and cook for 1 minute.
- 4While the vegetables are sauteeing, add the crumbled cooked bacon, carrots, potatoes, corn, creamed corn and chicken stock to your crock pot.
- 5Transfer the sauteed veggie mixture to the crock pot.
- 6Stir to mix, cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- 7Turn crock pot to high and add the cream and green onion and cook an additional 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.1
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 45.0 mg
- Sodium 684.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: