Recipe by lazyme
This simple side dish is from the First Lady Bicentennial Cookbook. I like to add some spices and herbs to it for a little more flavor. This can also be prepared ahead of time and then baked at a later time.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add flour and brown lightly.
- Add corn, tomatoes, celery, and onion.
- Mix well and remove from heat.
- Make layers in a 2 quart casserole, alternating vegetables and grated cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake 30 minutes (covered) in 350ºF oven.