Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This unique recipe combines cornmeal, creamed corn and cooked rice. Although my Southern heart is devoted to straight-up no-flour, no-sugar cornbread made with buttermilk, I'll admit it strays from time to time. Recipe found at Taste of Home's website.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon seeded chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 (16 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- additional cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine rice, cornmeal, onion, peppers, salt and baking soda.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, milk and oil. Add corn; mix well. Stir into rice mixture until blended. Fold in cheese. Sprinkle a well-greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet with cornmeal. Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bread tests done. Cut into wedges and serve warm.