Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was sent to me via Better Homes and Gardens news letter. I found it delicious and easy to prepare. It seems to me to be a health dish as will. Due to the fact that we have an alcohol intolerant mother-in-law living with us I substituted white wine with non alky type. Perhaps the dish would be better for having the real white wine. Lord knows I usually am. Please give this one a try. It is well worth it. I served this poured over a bed of rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet green pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, chopped into one inch chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb smoked ham or 3 slices bacon, chopped 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (put rest of bottle into cook)
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhole tomato puree, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut to 1 inch
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion, cook, stirring 4 to 5 minutes just until tender. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add chicken to skillet.Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cook turning pieces until browned. Add ham and garlic, cook, stirring until browned. Add wine, cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, pepper-onion mixture, water oregano, cumin, thyme and red pepper sauce. Bring to boil. Add beans. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Nutrition facts based on single serving without rice.