Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Just put this in the slow cooker in the morning and get a whiff of heaven when you come in the door in the evening! I cook it on high heat for one hour while the family gets ready for school and work, then turn it to low before we leave for the day. This is great served with corn muffins or over rice. Lots of ingredients but, except for the okra, they are all things that most cooks have on the shelf, or in the freezer or fridge. From the folks at Rodale Press's book "Your Family Will Love It." (Mine sure does!)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 lb low-fat kielbasa
- 1 1⁄2 cups okra, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounces low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 -4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 1 hour.
- Stir, reduce heat to low and cook 7 - 9 hours.
- Remove chicken from the pot, cool slightly.
- Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces; return to pot.
this was new take on chicken soup and yummy. i used boneless skinless chicken breast and it turned out fine.
This soup was really good...I omitted the okra, simply because I didn't have any. I cut down on the tomato sauce(used a small can) and added a can of diced tomatoes with onions. Since it has so much chicken broth, I would suggest you cut back on the salt,or omit it completely. I thought it was a tad salty, but everyone else loved it...will make this one again.Thanks!