1 hr 10 mins
Rice traditionally accompanies this stew; mashed potatoes would also be delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) cut-up whole chickens
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup white wine or 1/4 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch slices (2)
- 3 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. When it’s hot, add chicken pieces, and brown well, turning them occasionally, about 15 minutes (if necessary, cook chicken in two batches to avoid crowding the pan). Transfer to a plate.
- 2Drain most of the fat from the pan. Add onions, half the bell peppers, 1 tablespoon parsley, bay leaves, thyme, and oregano. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add wine, and scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- 3Stir in tomato sauce. Return chicken to the pan, along with any accumulated juices, and add parsnips, carrots, and remaining bell peppers. Add enough water to barely cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover the pan, and simmer until chicken is almost cooked through, about 15 minutes. Uncover pan, and continue simmering until chicken is done and the liquid thickens slightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, and serve.
- 4Note: The base of this chicken stew gets its flavor from ingredients familiar in Creole country: bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Classic French fricassee is made with cream.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Chicken Fricassee
Serving Size: 1 (652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 814.9
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 160.4 mg
- Sodium 768.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.0 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 45.6 g