Recipe by Trish Liechty
My husband really liked this. Spice it up if you like by adding more cayenne pepper and paprika. Maybe even some tabasco sauce.
Top Review by Overjoy
Very easy to prepare, has a nice taste! I should have made a lot more of it, So I could go back for seconds. I added a little more cayenne than the recipe called for so it had a nice little kick.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into 1" cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄2 water
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil; remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 c water, paprika, cayenne pepper, bay leaf and a little salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture and bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Serve over rice.