Catfish--arguably the South's most celebrated fish. These catfish cakes are good appetizers or main dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup minced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon margarine
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Put fish fillets on a lightly greased rack in a broiler pan.
- 2Broil 5 inches from heat for 10-15 minutes or until fish is done (flakes easily with a fork).
- 3Put fillets into a bowl; flake fish and set aside.
- 4In a saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter over low heat.
- 5Add in flour; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- 6Cook and whisk constantly for 1 minute.
- 7Gradually add in milk; cook and whisk constantly over medium heat for 8 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- 8Add in salt, pepper, and mustard; stir to combine.
- 9Pour sauce over fish.
- 10Add to the fish--1/2 cup breadcrumbs, red bell pepper, green onions, and hot sauce; stir all to combine.
- 11Cover bowl and chill at least 1 hour.
- 12Shape 1/4 cup mixture into a patty; repeat with remaining mixture.
- 13Coat patties evenly with remaining breadcrumbs.
- 14Melt 1 tablespoon butter and add 1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet.
- 15Fry patties (a few at a time) 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned; add butter and/or oil as needed.
- 16Serve with tartar sauce, mustard sauce or anything that suits your fancy.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Catfish Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.1
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 114.5 mg
- Sodium 708.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 29.6 g