Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Catfish--arguably the South's most celebrated fish. These catfish cakes are good appetizers or main dish.
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup minced green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon margarine
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put fish fillets on a lightly greased rack in a broiler pan.
- Broil 5 inches from heat for 10-15 minutes or until fish is done (flakes easily with a fork).
- Put fillets into a bowl; flake fish and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter over low heat.
- Add in flour; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Cook and whisk constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in milk; cook and whisk constantly over medium heat for 8 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add in salt, pepper, and mustard; stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over fish.
- Add to the fish--1/2 cup breadcrumbs, red bell pepper, green onions, and hot sauce; stir all to combine.
- Cover bowl and chill at least 1 hour.
- Shape 1/4 cup mixture into a patty; repeat with remaining mixture.
- Coat patties evenly with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter and add 1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet.
- Fry patties (a few at a time) 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned; add butter and/or oil as needed.
- Serve with tartar sauce, mustard sauce or anything that suits your fancy.