Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is off of the back of a bag of frozen Speckled Butter Beans. Personally, I think the beans detract from the sauce. The sauce is excellent over pasta, though. It can even stand up to sprouted grain pasta and brown rice. Add the beans at your own risk.
- 1 (1 lb) package butter beans, frozen (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Cook beans according to package directions, if using.
- In a large skillet, saute the bacon until the fat starts to render. Add the onion and green pepper, saute until the bacon is cooked to your liking and the onion starts to brown.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl or 2-cup measuring cup combine the water and flour. Mix well. Add the mustard, worcestershire and brown sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add this mixture to the bacon and stir until combined.
- Add the tomatoes, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked beans, if using, and simmer another 10 minutes.