Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special edition contest entry. You may have heard of shrimp and grits. Well how about a delicious shrimp creole sauce spooned over nice crispy hash browns. A wonderful breakfast or anytime meal.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce, to taste
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 12 medium shrimp, deveined
- 2 cups Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 4 eggs
- In a medium size saucepan, over medium heat, heat 2 teaspoons oil. Add the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic and cook until onion begins to brown. Add the chopped tomato and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, the seasonings, bay leaves, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce; stir and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- While the sauce simmers, add a small amount of olive oil to heavy cast iron skillet. Warm over medium heat. When the oil is hot measure the hash browns using a 1/2 cup measure. Place on hot skillet and form into patties flattening slightly with spatula. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cook until a nice crust develops on the underside, drizzle lightly with additional olive oil and flip and cook on the other side until crusty.
- Peel the shrimp and cut in half lengthwise. Add shrimp to sauce and cook until shrimp is no longer pink and cooked through. Stir in the green onions reserving a portion of the green part for garnish. Remove bay leaves, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Divide the hash browns among warmed plates. In the skillet that the potatoes were cooked in cook the eggs done to your liking. We like ours over medium. Spoon sauce over plated potatoes top each with sauce and a cooked egg . Enjoy!
We loved this! The combination of flavors was wonderful. I generously added hot sauce, and we loved the kick it gave the dish. It was colorful and appealing to the eye, and the textural contrast between the crispy potato and the soft egg was delightful. Thanks for sharing!
I couldn't believe how fabulous this recipe was, especially when you consider how few ingredients went into it! This was my first time eating a dish like this before (with the egg on top). It definitely was like something out of a restaurant. Thanks Paula, for broadening my culinary horizons!
This was such a satisfying lunch (the meal I made it for). The sauce is perfection and tasted great with the egg and hash browns. The instructions were very clear and well-written. Thanks for a tasty meal.