1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
This dish is ideal for any breakfast or brunch menu, and equally good at supper time when served with a nice green salad and a simple soup to start. Linguica sausage adds the right savory touch to kick this bread pudding up a notch or two. If you can't find linguica sausage or don't care for it use any garlicky sausage pork sausage. Recipe is courtesy Emeril Lagasse.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb linguica sausage, removed from casings and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups day old French bread cubes (1-inch)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 lb monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1/2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add chopped sausages pieces and cook until golden brown and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes; add onions and bell peppers, and sauté until soft, 3 minutes; add green onions and stir well, add the white wine and reduce heat slightly, stirring, about 1 minute over high heat; remove from heat.
- 3Place the bread in a large mixing bowl; add the milk and cream and stir well; let set 5 minutes.
- 4Pour the melted butter into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, and coat the sides and bottom evenly; pour any EXTRA butter into the bread mixture.
- 5Mix the sausage and bread mixtures; add the eggs, grated Pepper Jack cheese and Monterey Jack cheeses, salt, black pepper, and cayenne, and quickly fold together.
- 6Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour; uncover and bake for 15 minutes, or until casserole is lightly browned on top; serve hot, good served with sunny side up eggs, enjoy.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Breakfast Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (821 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1132.1
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 26.0 g
- Cholesterol 320.5 mg
- Sodium 2118.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 45.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: