Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thackeray wrote The Ballad of Bouillabaisse: This bouillabaisse a noble dish is- a sort of soup, or broth, or stew, or hotchpotch of all sorts of fishes.....
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups tomato puree (canned is fine)
- 2 cups water
- 8 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 lbs fish fillets (red snapper or redfish recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water, boiling
- hot buttered toast
- Cut mushrooms into thin slices and allow to stand until needed.
- Melt butter; saute onions, garlic and flour until golden brown.
- Add tomato pulp and 2 cups of water, 4 cloves, bay leaves, curry, 1/4 cup of sherry and Tabasco sauce.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- While sauce is simmering, cook fish fillets in simmering water with 4 cloves and remainder of sherry for 15 minutes.
- Combine mushrooms and sauce with fish and cook for five minutes.
- Remove pieces of fish from sauce, place on buttered toast on a large platter; pour sauce over fish and serve.