Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from Emerils cookbook "Emeril's kitchens", which is basically a compilation of recipes from all of his restaurants. This one is from Delmonico's Steakhouse. It is really easy prepare despite all the ingredients. It is absolutely the best shrimp cocktail I have ever eaten.
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails left on
- 1⁄4 cup creole seasoning or 1⁄4 cup Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 (3 ounce) boxzatarain crab boil
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 lemons, 2 halved,1 cut into 6 wedges
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish
- 1 tablespoon V8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- FOR SHRIMP:.
- In a large bowl toss the shrimp with 2 tablespoons of the creole seasoning or essence.
- Coat evenly.
- Combine 3 gallons water, the Zatarains boil, salt, remaining 2 tablespoons of creole seasoning, the 2 halved lemons, onion, celery, bay leaves, and garlic in large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil and taste.
- The salinity of the water should be that of saltwater.
- Add the shrimp and cook stirring frequently until pink and cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- drain in colander, transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour.
- FOR CREOLE SEASONING:.
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three months.
- FOR COCKTAIL SAUCE:.
- Combine all ingredients and whisk well.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Serve shrimp with the remaining lemon cut into wedges and the cocktail sauce.
These shrimp were fantastic. I used liquid crab boil because that is what I had. I didn't use any where near 3 gallons of water probably closer to one gallon and 10 Tbsp liquid Crab Boil. I had already made my sauce which was almost the same recipe as this one so I can say the sauce is fantastic also. Thanks for a great recipe.