Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A want-to-try recipe from Best of Country Cooking.
Make and share this Creole Black Beans 'n' Sausage recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, celery, green pepper, water, tomato sauce, garlic, thyme, bouillon, white pepper, cayenne and bay leaves; pour over sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Serve with rice.
- Yield: 10 servings.
I made this on Sunday (love using the slow cooker for Sunday Lunch) and we both enjoyed it. I used turkey sausage and omitted the white pepper to suit my husband's diet. I also made a 1/3 of the recipe, as it was just my husband and I and that fit well into my 2 1/2 qt. slow cooker.