Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This one of my favorite recipes. It is a crockpot recipe but I'm sure you could cook it on the stovetop also. It's pretty spicy.
- 1 -2 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons leaf thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons leaf oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- to taste rice, boiled
- Brown sausage in a skillet over med.
- heat. Drain fat and transfer to crockpot. Combine remaining ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on low 8 hrs.
- or on high 4 hrs.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over cooked rice.
A wonderfully satisfying treat for both the taste buds and to the eye! Very easy to prepare, and even the leftovers the next day were exquisitely delicious. You can make this as spicy as you dare, by altering the amount of cayenne. The spicier the better for me, so I added a bit of Tabasco to the mix for good measure. Also threw in a good-sized pinch of basil. Although the recipe calls for crock-pot cooking, I was pressed for time and prepared this on the stove-top. Next time I will try the crock pot, just so this wonderful smell will be present in the kitchen throughout the day.
We have made this many many times. It is so good. Just as good as we had at ou favorite BBQ restaurant, and our BBQ guru neighbors raved about it too when we shared. Didn't change anything.
Five star keeper, no question. Wonderful. Made overnight in my crockpot so it would be ready to take to a friend the next morning. Only change - had no celery. Will make again and again. THANKS!