Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Tender beef in a flavorful sauce - serve over hot cooked rice.
- 3 lbs sirloin beef tips or 3 lbs stew meat
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Saute in oil until well browned.
- Add celery and green pepper and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add parsley, oregano, garlic powder, basil and chili powder. Cook 15 minutes over low heat, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and water. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender. Remove cover during the last 10 minutes or so to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
I cut this back to two servings and used the crock pot because of the heat. I used the ingredients ask for with big chunks of stew beef and it came out tender and yummy after 2 1/2 hrs on low. this will be back again during the cold weather. :D
This is right tasty. I added some mushrooms, and also covered the pot to simmer it. We had it with rice, but it would be good with noodles, too. Thanks for posting!
A nice warm meal on a cool rainy night. I like this recipe because of the long cooking time which will make the cheapest cut of meat tender and good. I think I will also double the spices as one of the other reviews said. I browned the round steak in batches. Step 2 and 3 did not say to cover this as it cooked but I did. I think it will burn if you don't. I added some S&P at the table. loof, thank you for posting and I'll make this again. Made for *1 2 3 Hit Wonders 2008* game