- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 ounces smoked ham, finely chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, & leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, ham, jalapenos, and celery; cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, rice, thyme, pepper, and cayenne. Simmer covered until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in beans and heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro.