Recipe by April Ballesteros
This is a delicious green bean dish that my family always serves with Thanksgiving Dinner. Guaranteed to be a hit with the family. A great alternative to plain old green beans or green bean casserole.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This was great! I did not drain either of the beans and it cooked down nicely and so full of flavor. I think I had it on a rolling boil for 25 min. I fixed this for Worldwide Recipezaar Day on 2-10-02.
- 2 (1 lb) cans green beans
- 1 tablespoon Lipton Onion Soup Mix (get some of the powder in there too)
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (1 lb) can chickpeas (aka garbonzo's)
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine in a large skillet all ingredients except sugar and bacon.
- Heat mixture and add bacon and sugar.
- Cook until broth is almost 1/2 of what you started with.
- Note: Bacon and drippings can be substituted with Bacon bits and drippings can be ommited.