Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this recipe on the Fair Trade site. Consequently I guess it would be best to use Fairly traded produce ;)
- 225 g long grain brown rice (basmati)
- 4 large bananas
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 medium apple
- 125 g green grapes
- 75 g chopped fresh pineapple
- 30 ml chopped fair trade cashew nuts
- 15 ml sultanas
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 15 ml desiccated coconut
For the Dressing
- 120 ml mayonnaise
- 2 1⁄2 ml engish hot mustard
- 1 dash piri-piri
- Juice the lemon, discard the skin.
- Juice the lime, discard the skin.
- Core and chop the apple.
- Cook the rice in boiling water until tender. (15 mins white rice 25 - 35 mins brown rice)
- Drain well and allow to cool.
- Put the rice in a mixing bowl and stir in the bananas, half of the lemon juice, the lime juice, the chopped apple, grapes, pineapple, walnuts and sultanas.
- Make the dressing as follows:
- Mix together the mayonaise, the remaining lemon juice, piri piri powder and mustard in a measuring jug or small bowl.
- Pour over the banana and rice mixture, and gently fold the mixture until everything is coated with the dressing.
- Put the lettuce leaves around a serving bowl and spoon in the salad mixture.
- Sprinkle on the coconut.
- To serve.
- Chill for 30 mins in the fridge and serve.