Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this on a Cajun website, and I'm so happy I did.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk or 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Tabasco sauce
- Arrange alternate layers of rice, cheese, peppers, and onion in buttered baking dish.
- Mix eggs, milk, salt, and pepper (and pepper sauce) and pour over rice and cheese.
- Top with breadcrumbs and butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until set.
This produced a wonderfully filling, but meatless meal! My kids even asked for seconds! This casserole scores big thumbs-up in all areas: it's very colorful, has great texture, is easy and inexpensive to prepare, and the taste was excellent! One note, I do suggest serving this with salsa and sour cream alongside. Perfect taste combo! Thanks, Mirj for a tasty, economical meal that we all loved.
We were very pleased with this recipe, good flavor and pretty presentation. I used a red pepper instead of green, as I don't care for the green ones. Next time I don't think I would bother to layer the ingredients, I would just mix the rice, cheese, peppers and onion, the top with the milk mixture and then the breadcrumbs. I cut the recipe in half, to serve 3, and it only needed 20 minutes to cook. Made for ZWT5 by one of the Cooks with Dirty Faces.