Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Creole Cheeseburgers with Asiago cheese
- 2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 6 large hamburger buns
- 6 slices sweet onions (like Vidalia or 1015)
- olive oil
- 1 cup grated asiago cheese
- 3⁄4 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons creole mustard
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- Patties: Combine ground beef, minced shallots and dry spices in a large bowl. Mix until evenly distributed, but being careful not to overwork the meat. Form into 6 equal patties. Place on a platter or sheet pan, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 4.
- Creole-Tomato Mayonnaise: combine the mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, Creole mustard, Worcestershire, 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning and freshly ground black pepper to taste in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Brush the split hamburger buns and onion slices with the olive oil. Toast the buns on a cooler portion of the grill until golden brown. Remove and set aside. Place the onion slices on the grill and cook until beginning to appear transparent. Carefully turn the onion slices and continue to cook on the other side for about 2 more minutes. When the onion slices are cooked through and have grill marks, remove them and set them aside on a serving platter.
- Cook the hamburgers on the grill, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Top each burger with grated Asiago cheese and allow the cheese to melt before assembling the burgers with the toasted buns, grilled onion slices and Creole-Tomato Mayonnaise.