Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A recipe from Savoie, the French Alps. A perfect summer recipe,or, since fresh blueberries freeze so beautifully, one you can make in winter to make it feel, for just a moment, like midsummer. Wild blueberries (called huckleberries in my childhood) are best, but any blueberries are better than none.
- 1 lb blueberries, washed, drained, picked over
- 24 ounces blueberry jam
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks (Chantilly stage)
- Place the blueberries and the jam in a pot and heat until jam is entirely melted.
- Add lemon juice and transfer to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Strain into a large bowl and freeze until mixture is semi-solid.
- Stir at regular intervals to prevent formation of lumps.
- Whip the cream to the light, Chantilly stage and add the lemon rind.
- Fold the cream into the semi-solid blueberry mixture until homogenous.
- Pour into a shallow cake pan.
- Freeze until solid.
- Let sit at room temperature frive minutes before dishing out with ice cream scoop.
i made this with 18 oz of organic jam from trader joes. the puree took several hours to freeze before i added the whipped cream, then several more hours to refreeze. this is a light frozen pudding and it is very refreshing, perfect for a hot summer day.