Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 35 mins
Tangy crème fraîche and a very grown-up rum-pineapple topping take cheesecake to an entirely new level. This can be made a day ahead. The topping should be made first. If you can find creme fraiche, it would be better than the sour cream.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup creme fraiche or 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Blend all ingredients in bowl.
- Press mixture over bottom of 9 inch-diameter springform pan with 2&3/4-inch sides.
- Bake until golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and blend 1 minute.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Mix in crème fraîche.
- Transfer filling to crust.
- Place cheesecake in roasting pan.
- Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come 1 inch up sides of springform pan.
- Bake cake until top is dry-looking and slightly puffed, about 1 hour.
- Turn off oven. Let cake cool in closed oven 1 hour.
- Remove from water bath.
- Refrigerate uncovered until cold, at least 6 hours.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place pineapple rings on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Boil remaining ingredients in small saucepan 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour syrup over pineapple.
- Roast pineapple 12 minutes.
- Turn rings over; roast until tender and syrup thickens, turning rings every 5 minutes, about 20 minutes longer.
- Cool pineapple on sheet.
- Cut into 1/3-inch cubes; transfer pineapple and syrup to bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill.).
- Drain pineapple, reserving syrup.
- Cover top of cheesecake with some pineapple; stir remainder back into syrup. Serve cake, passing remaining pineapple in syrup separately.