Recipe by twissis
Found in the Cajun & Creole section of the Food & Wine website in an article titled “Great Recipes From Top New Orleans Chefs”. Chefs Allison Vines-Rushing & Slade Rushing were credited as contributors & the recipe included this description: “When they are not adding a Southern ingredient to a French recipe, chefs Allison Vines-Rushing & Slade Rushing are adding a French ingredient to a Southern recipe. For this recipe, crème fraîche replaces buttermilk in these extremely fluffy biscuits.” The recipe yield is approx 22 biscuits & is not easily halved as it uses 1 egg, but any extra biscuits can be frozen for later use. Time does not include 30 min chill time. Enjoy!
Top Review by diner524
Wonderful biscuits!!! I really think that returning the biscuits to the refrigerator to chill really makes a difference in the flakiness of the biscuits. I made 1/2 of the recipe (used the other 1/2 of egg for a eggs benedict lunch) and it made 11 biscuits. While these were baking, I could just smell a wonderful buttery smell and couldn't wait to eat them, very fluffy and tender!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 9.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter (2 sticks, cold & cut into 16 tbsp)
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F - In a lrg bowl, whisk the flour w/the baking powder, salt & sugar.
- Cut in the butter until the dough is roughly the size of peas. Make a well in the center.
- In a sml bowl, whisk the heavy cream w/the crème fraîche & egg. Pour into the well & stir w/a fork until evenly moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface & gently knead 2-3 times until it holds together.
- Roll out the dough 1-in thick. Using a 2 1/4-in rd cookie cutter, stamp out the biscuits as close together as possible. Gently press the scraps together & stamp out more biscuits. Transfer to baking sheets & chill until firm (about 30 min).
- Bake the biscuits for 18 min (or until golden on top). Serve warm from the oven or at room temperature.