Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was the winning recipe from the television show, Cupcake Wars. It was featured in our August/September 2010 issue, submitted by member Candace d'Obrenovic, thanks to VegNews magazine and vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli.
- 354.88 ml flour
- 118.29 ml cocoa powder
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml orange juice
- 118.29 ml canola oil
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 14.79 ml orange zest
Orange Buttercream Filling
- 946.36 ml powdered sugar
- 118.29 ml coconut oil, at room temperature (refined)
- 14.79 ml orange zest
- 59.14 ml orange juice
- 236.59 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 44.37 ml almond milk
- 14.79 ml coconut oil, at room temperature (refined)
Candied Orange Peel (optional)
- 1 orange
- 414.03 ml water, divided
- 177.44 ml sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together orange juice, canola oil, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cupcake liners until each cup is 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 17 to 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling, combine first 3 ingredients in the bowl of a standard mixer.
- Beat on medium-high speed until combined.
- With the mixer running, add 1 tablespoon orange juice at a time, until the desired buttercream consistency is reached.
- For the ganache, use a double boiler or microwave to melt chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in coconut oil until smooth.
- If making Candied Orange Peel, peel thin slices of orange peel from the orange using a vegetable peeler.
- In a small saucepot, place the orange peels and add ½ cup water.
- Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water, place the peels back in the pot, and refill with ½ cup water.
- Bring the water to a boil again, let cook for 5 minutes, and drain.
- Repeat this process one more time to release the bitterness from the orange peels.
- Bring ¼ sugar, ¼ cup of water, and the orange peels to a boil and let cook on medium/high heat until liquid bubbles away.
- Remove from heat, spread peels out to cool on parchment paper.
- Once the candied peels have semi-dried (about 10 minutes), roll them in the remaining sugar until thoroughly coated.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- When cupcakes are cool, fill each with Orange Buttercream Filling using a pastry bag with a narrow tip.
- Spread Chocolate Ganache evenly over each cupcake.
- Top with two slices of Candied Orange Peel, if using.