Vegetarian Network Austin's Note:
This was the winning recipe from the television show, Cupcake Wars. It was featured in our August/September 2010 issue, submitted by member Candace d'Obrenovic, thanks to VegNews magazine and vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Orange Buttercream Filling
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, at room temperature (refined)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, at room temperature (refined)
Candied Orange Peel (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk together orange juice, canola oil, vanilla, and orange zest.
- 4Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- 5Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cupcake liners until each cup is 2/3 full.
- 6Bake for about 17 to 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- 7Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- 8For the filling, combine first 3 ingredients in the bowl of a standard mixer.
- 9Beat on medium-high speed until combined.
- 10With the mixer running, add 1 tablespoon orange juice at a time, until the desired buttercream consistency is reached.
- 11For the ganache, use a double boiler or microwave to melt chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
- 12Whisk in coconut oil until smooth.
- 13If making Candied Orange Peel, peel thin slices of orange peel from the orange using a vegetable peeler.
- 14In a small saucepot, place the orange peels and add ½ cup water.
- 15Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes.
- 16Drain the water, place the peels back in the pot, and refill with ½ cup water.
- 17Bring the water to a boil again, let cook for 5 minutes, and drain.
- 18Repeat this process one more time to release the bitterness from the orange peels.
- 19Bring ¼ sugar, ¼ cup of water, and the orange peels to a boil and let cook on medium/high heat until liquid bubbles away.
- 20Remove from heat, spread peels out to cool on parchment paper.
- 21Once the candied peels have semi-dried (about 10 minutes), roll them in the remaining sugar until thoroughly coated.
- 22Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- 23When cupcakes are cool, fill each with Orange Buttercream Filling using a pastry bag with a narrow tip.
- 24Spread Chocolate Ganache evenly over each cupcake.
- 25Top with two slices of Candied Orange Peel, if using.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creme-Filled Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.6
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 136.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 78.7 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: