Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was the winning recipe from the television show, Cupcake Wars. It was featured in our August/September 2010 issue, submitted by member Candace d'Obrenovic, thanks to VegNews magazine and vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Orange Buttercream Filling
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil, at room temperature (refined)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, at room temperature (refined)
Candied Orange Peel (optional)
- 1 orange
- 1 3⁄4 cups water, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together orange juice, canola oil, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cupcake liners until each cup is 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 17 to 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling, combine first 3 ingredients in the bowl of a standard mixer.
- Beat on medium-high speed until combined.
- With the mixer running, add 1 tablespoon orange juice at a time, until the desired buttercream consistency is reached.
- For the ganache, use a double boiler or microwave to melt chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in coconut oil until smooth.
- If making Candied Orange Peel, peel thin slices of orange peel from the orange using a vegetable peeler.
- In a small saucepot, place the orange peels and add ½ cup water.
- Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water, place the peels back in the pot, and refill with ½ cup water.
- Bring the water to a boil again, let cook for 5 minutes, and drain.
- Repeat this process one more time to release the bitterness from the orange peels.
- Bring ¼ sugar, ¼ cup of water, and the orange peels to a boil and let cook on medium/high heat until liquid bubbles away.
- Remove from heat, spread peels out to cool on parchment paper.
- Once the candied peels have semi-dried (about 10 minutes), roll them in the remaining sugar until thoroughly coated.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- When cupcakes are cool, fill each with Orange Buttercream Filling using a pastry bag with a narrow tip.
- Spread Chocolate Ganache evenly over each cupcake.
- Top with two slices of Candied Orange Peel, if using.