Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This gelato recipe is made the old fashioned way but you can use an ice cream freezer if you have one. Use green creme de menthe for the lovely green color. Allow up to 7 hours for freezing. You can add 2/3 cup chocolate chips at the freezing stage for mint chocolate chip gelato if desired.
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar (caster sugar)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup creme de menthe
- Set aside a large bowl of ice water.
- In a saucepan, bring milk and half of sugar to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add crème de menthe.
- In another bowl, mix or whisk yolks and remaining sugar until thick and pale. To this add hot milk slowly, whisking, and pour mixture back into saucepan when finished.
- Cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, for approx 20 minutes. (170F) Do not allow mixture to boil!
- Pour custard through a fine sieve into a freezer container, stir in cream and set in the bowl of ice water to cool.
- Chill in refrigerator until cold (1 to 4 hours).
- Press plastic wrap to the surface of the mixture and cover container with a lid. Put in the freezer until frozen, (1.5 to 3 hours).
- Remove from freezer and whisk with a hand blender to break up any ice crystals.
- Return to freezer.
- Repeat process one to three more times until it reaches desired smoothness.
- Garnish with mint leaves or shaved chocolate.
Fantastic recipe, very easy, it was a little sweet for us though, next time I will reduce the amount of sugar slightly and add a liiiittle more creme de menthe. Great recipe though :)