Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a Portuguese dessert, similar to a creme brulee. Time does not include inactive cool time.
Make and share this Creme De Leite & Canela (Portuguese Custard and Cinnamon) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 slices lemon zest (removed from lemon with a vegetable peeler)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 7 egg yolks, large
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour, unbleached, all-purpose
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the milk, cream, lemon zest, and cinnamon stick to almost a simmer on low heat.
- Let the mixture cook for about 10 minutes, but do not allow to boil.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together 3/4 cup sugar and the egg yolks in a medium-size bowl. Whisk in the flour, then strain the milk into the yolk mixture in a thin stream and whisk to mix.
- Return this mixture to the saucepan and gradually bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, whisking continuously.
- Once the mixture thickens, gently simmer for 1 to 2 minutes more. Do not boil rapidly or overcook, as the custard will curdle.
- Evenly divide into 6 ramekins.
- Cool to room temperature, then cover loosely with plastic wrap and cool in refrigerator for 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle a thin layer of 2 tablespoons sugar into each ramekin.
- Following manufacturer's directions, use a kitchen blowtorch to brown the top, or you may put in broiler about 6-8 inches from the heat.