Recipe by Um Safia
This is a traditional recipe for the famous Sudanese version of creme caramel. Posted for ZWT 4. If you dont have a star shaped mould then use what you have. You can also make individidual servings.
- 8 eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ounce melted butter, plus extra
- melted butter, for greasing
- 1 tablespoon banana extract or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup maraschino cherry (or glace)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 2 quart bowl, beat the eggs, milk & 1/2 the sugar until mixture is frothy. Add the butter & banana / vanilla extract & mix again, then set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar - place in a small pan & cook on med-high heat until it has melted & has reached the caramel stage.
- Pour the caramel into a 1 1/2 quart star shaped aluminium pan. Rotate the pan to spread caramel all around the sides.
- Beat the egg mixture again & pour it quickly into the cake pan.
- Cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil which has been well buttered on the under side.
- Place the pan in a larger pan half filled with water (as you would do a custard).
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and test with metal skewer - if it comes out clean the custard is done.
- Allow to cool then place in the refridgerator for approximately 4 hours .
- Turn the caramella out onto a 10-12" platter.
- Garnish with maraschino or glace cherries on top and sides & serve immediately.