Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This is a lighter version of classic creme caramel. It uses reduced fat ingredients, but still has a satisfying rich flavor. Cook time includes chilling.
Top Review by Suzie_Q
This was so good and so easy! I was looking for a version of this recipe that confirmed to me that it could be made low fat and this proved that it could! I used skim milk and 2 whole eggs and 3 egg whites and it came out absolutely delicious. Not one person was able to tell it was a lower fat version. My mom even said it was the best baked custard she had ever had. I did however have to bake it about 10 minutes longer, but other than that everything was perfect! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a small, heavy saucepan; cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves.
- Continue cooking 4 minutes or until golden.
- Immediately pour into 6 (6 oz) custard cups coated with cooking spray, tipping quickly until carmelized sugar coats bottom of cups.
- Beat eggs and egg white in a medium bowl with a whisk.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, 2/3 cup sugar and salt.
- Divide mixture evenly amond prepared custard cups.
- Place cups in a 13X9 inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 325 for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cups from pan.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Loosen edges of custards with a knife or rubber spatula.
- Place a dessert plate, upside down, on top of each cup; invert onto plates.
- Drizzle any remaining carmelized syrup over custards.