Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A BHG version of low-fat dessert
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil water in a 4-quart saucepan and reserve for water bath.
- Heat 2/3 cup sugar with the cold water on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and appears a light caramel color.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, and remaining sugar in a separate bowl until well blended. Add milk and vanilla and beat.
- Divide mixture into 8 custard cups.
- Place cups in a large roasting pan and pour boiling water in pan until cups are halfway immersed in water.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until center of custard is just set.
- Remove from oven and place cups out of water on a wire cooling rack.
- When custards are cooled, place in refrigerator, covered, for 4 hours.
- Invert cups onto plates and let cups sit above custard for several minutes. Remove cups from custard just before serving.