Egg custards are quite simple to prepare, provided you follow the recipe directions! Avoid using excessive heat which will ruin the texture, stir the mixture constantly when cooking over direct heat & watch the mixture carefully as it thickens. I'm making this on Valentine's Day - its one of my hubby's favourite desserts!!
- Melt 1/2 cup of the sugar in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until its a light brown syrup; pour into 8 buttered ramekins or custard cups.
- Place ramekins into a shallow baking pan for easier handling; preheat oven to 300°F.
- Beat eggs, salt & remaining sugar in a large bowl with mixer at low speed until lemon coloured; gradually beat in milk & vanilla extract.
- Divide the custard mixture among the ramekins; pour HOT water into pan within 1 inch of top of cups.
- Bake for 1 hour until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove ramekins from Baking pan & cool on wire rack; refrigerate.
- To serve, loosen the custard from the cups with the tip of a sharp knife; invert onto a dessert dish, letting the syrup run down onto the side of the dish.