Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This tart features a layer of uncooked blackberries sandwiched between pastry and a sour cream custard. Then the tart is sprinkled with brown sugar, broiled and then well chilled so that you bite through the crunchy caramel to the smooth custard and berries- wonderful!Originally from an August 1983 issue of Bon Apetit that featured Beautiful Berry Desserts.Best made with sweet, ripe blackberries!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 egg yolks, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups blackberries
- brown sugar
- For Pastry.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add yolk and mix until dough just holds together.
- Flatten into a disc.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
- Butter a 8 or 9 inch cake pan.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface into circle 1/8 inch thick.
- Fit into pan; trim and form edges.
- Prick shell and freeze until firm(or up to 1 month).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line shell with buttered parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake 15 minutes;reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and weights and continue baking until brown, about 8 minutes.
- For Creme.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in bowl set over simmering water(water should not touch bottom of bowl).
- Add cream, sour cream and vanilla and continue cooking, whisking occasionally, until very thick, 30 to 35 minutes; do not boil or creme will curdle.
- Remove bowl from over water and whisk in butter. Cool 20 minutes.
- To Assemble.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread melted chocolate over crust; cover with berries.
- Top with creme, smoothing surface with spatula.
- Sift brown sugar over entire top.
- Broil until sugar carmelizes, watching carefully to prevent burning.
- Let cool;refrigerate.
- Serve tart well chilled.