Recipe by Pinaygourmet #345142
A rich, puffy outer crust makes this a French toast recipe well worth the time! It's a perfect choice for preparing the night before a busy holiday morning.
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 220 g packed brown sugar
- 30 ml corn syrup
- 6 slices French bread
- 5 eggs
- 355 ml half-and-half cream
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 5 ml brandy-based orange liqueur (Grand Marnier)
- 2 g salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix in brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Remove crusts from bread, and arrange in the baking dish in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, orange brandy, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove the dish from the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.