Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the best french toast EVER. So sweet and rich! You prepare it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light Karo syrup
- 9 slices Italian bread (sliced 1-inch thick) or 9 slices challah (sliced 1-inch thick)
- 1 dozen egg
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cook butter, brown sugar and Karo syrup in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then pour into a 9x13 pan.
- Pack bread slices into mix.
- Beat eggs, cream and vanilla. Pour over bread.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
I was disappointed in this... I may have did something wrong though. It had great flavor, but an overall flop for Xmas brunch. I'll give it 4 stars only because I could have messed up, but no custard crust on my toast.
Mine did not end up having the layer of egg custard, but that was just fine by me (I'm not a big custard fan), maybe it was because I cut quite fat slices of bread and let it sit overnight. I found the syrup very sweet, but the overall product was enjoyed by everyone. The only thing I might do different next time is cut the bread into strips as I had a hard time fitting them into the pan in a visually appealing way.
WOW...this is delicious!! This french toast has a layer of bread, a layer of caramel syrup, and a layer of egg custard. It is VERY rich, but very yummy. It went together very quickly and easily. I loved the convenience of being able to make this the night before and popping it in the oven the following morning. My family loved it and I will be making this again. Thank you for sharing this wonderful PAC recipe.