Cook8 hrs 40 mins
Although this is really a breakfast/brunch dish, my daughters occasionally beg to have this for supper. Occasionally I indulge them.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and honey in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth.
- Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Trim crusts from bread and arrange in one layer in the baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, Grand Marnier,vanilla and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour evenly over the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the dish from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until puffed and edges are light golden brown.
- Serve immediately with individual pieces turned over with the caramel on top.
My family loved this recipe. It was soooo good. I used normal wheat bread because that's all we had, but I felt the texture would have been better with challah. Since my family loves cinnamon, I added a little on top. My mom agreed that it was even better with the cinnamon. Next time I'll put it in the with the egg mixture.
This made a very nice Sunday morning breakfast. I used egg substitutes and low fat half and half, and it was still very tasty. I think next time i will try and cook some sliced apples in the brown sugar mixture and add a little cinnimon for a twist. thanks for posting! I will be trying your butter pecan bread pudding next. I am sure it will be as great as this!