Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Lovely mini cheesecakes with a creme brulee topping.
- 500 g mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 large eggs
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cheesecakes: Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Grease 6 5-oz ramekins and place a disc of parchment in the bottom of each.
- Place ramekins in a dish with a 2-inch (5 cm) lip.
- Stir mascarpone to soften.
- Add sugar and combine well.
- Stir in whipping cream and seeds from vanilla bean switching to a whisk to smooth out mixture.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time until blended.
- Ladle mixture into prepared ramekins and pour hot tap water around ramekins until water comes halfway up.
- Bake cheesecakes for 35 minutes then remove from water bath to cool.
- Chill for at least 6 hours before serving.
- Phyllo Wafers: To make Phyllo wafers, increase oven to 350 °F and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Lay out one sheet of phyllo and brush lightly with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover with second sheet of phyllo, repeating with butter and sugar.
- Repeat with third sheet, then fold phyllo in half.
- Cut 6 circles out of pastry with a 3 ½ -inch cookie cutter and place onto baking tray.
- Bake for 7 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool.
- To serve, place a phyllo wafer on a dessert plate.
- Run a spatula around inside of ramekin to loosen, and then turn out cheesecake onto wafer.
- Peel away parchment disc and sprinkle top of cheesecake with sugar.
- Using a kitchen butane torch, caramelize top of cheesecake.
- Repeat with remaining cheesecakes and serve.