1/1 Photo of Creme Brulee
3 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 piece vanilla bean, pierced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- fresh raspberry (optional)
For Frosting Variations
- 1 vanilla bean (optional)
- 4 1/2 ounces baking chocolate (optional)
- 4 1/2 ounces pralines (optional)
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped (optional) or 1 cup brazil nut (optional)
- 3 ounces coffee beans, finely ground (Espresso, French Roast, etc.) (optional)
- 2 bananas (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 2In top of double boiler over hot water, heat cream, vanilla bean and sugar to almost boiling.
- 3Lower heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Beat eggs and egg yolks.
- 4Pour cream mixture in a thin stream into eggs, stirring constantly.
- 5Return to double boiler.
- 6Cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 3 to 4 minutes or until custard coats back of spoon.
- 7Remove vanilla bean.
- 8Pour into 6 custard dishes or 4 to 5 cup flame proof serving dish.
- 9Set dishes in a large pan of hot water on middle rack of oven.
- 10(Hot water should be level with custard.) Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until center of custard is set. Remove custard from water and cool.
- 11Cover and chill.
- 12To serve, sift brown sugar on top of creme. Place dish into bowl of crushed ice. Leaving door open, place under broiler at least 6" from flame until hard crust of caramelized sugar is formed.
- 13Serve immediately or chill until serving time. Pass bowl of fresh raspberries along with creme for the perfect topping.
- 14Add a spoonful of whipped creme to the custard, if desired.
- 15VARIATIONS, FLAVORED CREME BRULEE:.
- 16Vanilla Bean:.
- 17Add 1 pod for 3 cups of cream.
- 18Break it open lengthwise or simply pierce it, and put it into liquid before it boils.
- 20Add 4 1/2 oz cooking chocolate for each 3 cups of cream, melted in warm liquid.
- 22Add 4 1/2oz pralines to each 3 cups of cream after it is cooked.
- 24Add 1 cup finely chopped pecans or brazil nuts for 3 cups cream after it is cooled.
- 26Use 3 oz coffee beans (Espresso, French Roast, etc -- ) finely ground, then grilled in a pan of 3 cups cream.
- 27Add to boiling liquid; infuse for 15 minutes, then strain.
- 29Mash 2 soft bananas; saute in 1 tbsp butter.
- 30Add 2 tbsp brandy and 2 tsp brown sugar.
- 31Cook for 5 minutes.
- 32Pat down on bottom of creme brulee pan before adding liquid.
- 33NOTES :.
- 34Use a double boiler to scald the cream unless you have a heavy saucepan. Use very low heat. Milk scorches easily and, when scorched, should be thrown out.
- 35Beat eggs or egg yolks with a wire whisk or beater. Add sugar gradually and continue whipping until it is thoroughly mixed inches.
- 36NEVER add eggs directly to a hot mixture. (unless you like scrambled eggs in cream.) Pour some of the hot liquid into the eggs while stirring briskly, then return the warmed combination to the remaining hot liquid in the pan.
- 37Stir the custard constantly over low heat until it acquires body. Test it by letting it run off the back of a spoon; if a light coating clings to the spoon, the custard is finished.
- 38Stir the custard occasionally as it cools to prevent a surface skin from forming. When it is cool, chill it, covered lightly with a clean dish towel, in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creme Brulee
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.3
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.5 g
- Saturated Fat 28.9 g
- Cholesterol 363.1 mg
- Sodium 91.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 26.3 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: