Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Creamy and so good. The Cremes need to freeze for several hours before their final run under the broiler.
- Scald cream in small saucepan over medium-low heat; remove from heat.
- Whisk yolks in top of double-boiler; stir in granulated sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in scalded cream gradually.
- When thoroughly blended, cook, stirring constantly, over very hot (not boiling) water, until mixture coats back of metal spoon, about 20 minutes.
- Strain custard through fine mesh sieve into eight 3-ounce custard cups, dividing evenly.
- Freeze several hours or overnight.
- Heat broiler.
- Just before serving, put brown sugar in fine mesh sieve and sieve over top of custard cups, stirring with a spoon to force sugar through holes.
- Arrange cups on baking sheet; broil, about 3 inches from heat source, just until tops are glazed, 1-2 minutes.
- Custards will be hot and soft on top and cold and firm on bottom (ideally).
- Serve immediately.