Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Creamy and so good. The Cremes need to freeze for several hours before their final run under the broiler.
- Scald cream in small saucepan over medium-low heat; remove from heat.
- Whisk yolks in top of double-boiler; stir in granulated sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in scalded cream gradually.
- When thoroughly blended, cook, stirring constantly, over very hot (not boiling) water, until mixture coats back of metal spoon, about 20 minutes.
- Strain custard through fine mesh sieve into eight 3-ounce custard cups, dividing evenly.
- Freeze several hours or overnight.
- Heat broiler.
- Just before serving, put brown sugar in fine mesh sieve and sieve over top of custard cups, stirring with a spoon to force sugar through holes.
- Arrange cups on baking sheet; broil, about 3 inches from heat source, just until tops are glazed, 1-2 minutes.
- Custards will be hot and soft on top and cold and firm on bottom (ideally).
- Serve immediately.
You can't freeze custard!