Recipe by Colby's Mom
I LOVE creme brulee. I have tried tons of recipes and had it at every restaurant that serves it, and I think this is the best creme brulee of all!
Top Review by Tomlynharris2
Perfect texture!! I used half and half instead of milk. I do prefer it a bit sweeter so I'll increase the sugar a bit. But it is super easy to make and everyone loved it. I did not find it too eggy and broiler was fine but I think I'll invest in a torch.
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean (split)
- 7 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine heavy cream, milk, and vanilla bean.
- Heat to boil.
- Remove from heat and steep 10 minutes with vanilla bean.
- Scrape bean seeds into the milk mixture.
- With an electric mixer, combine eggs and sugar.
- Add the milk mixture in a steady stream.
- Skim foam.
- Divide into 8 small ramekins (about 5 oz. each) set in baking dish and pour enough hot water around ramekins to come 1/2 way up the sides.
- Place in 325 degree oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, until just set (trembles slightly).
- Cover top with brown sugar.
- Carmelize under broiler.